Saturday, April 26, 2014

Two Weeks On…Is Spring Here Yet?

Two weeks ago, Apr 11th, I took some pictures of what was happening outside.  Well, I think spring is (kinda) here, and wanted to update you on the progress.  We will follow each of the eight plants to see what has happened.  (The original was called "And You Thought It Would Never Get Here" and was posted on Apr 11, 2014).

The rose has leafed out nicely…
Rose - Apr 25
(I was asked what rose this was - beats me…When we first moved here (and in my defense, long before I was a Master Gardener), I went to K-Mart as they were shutting down their plant sales and bought this for $.99.  It's pink, has grown, blossomed profusely, and been a nice addition to the landscape every year for 11 years.  We just call her Rosie.)

The elm is still working hard to produce some leaves, as are most trees.  I have seen a fuzzy green-ness around this week, but not too many leaves anywhere yet…
Liberty Elm - Apr 25














The forsythia has - no surprise here - been the most dramatic, going from a couple greenish-yellowish sprigs to its full color…
Forsythia - Apr 25
I really like viburnum - they are generally native plants and do really well here and many have some interesting characteristics.  The Mohawk Viburnum is busy growing up right now, lots more from him later…
Mohawk Viburnum - Apr 25




















The Katsura is a unique tree - and I have a weeping one that is apparently extra-unique.  The reddish colors to the leaves are very showy this time of year.  And those leaves have sprung out from the tiny buds you saw two weeks ago…
Weeping Katsura - Apr 25
Sedum is reliable and busy growing.  This is Autumn Joy, and it has just continued to grow up and up since its earlier appearance…
Sedum - Apr 25














Here I thought I would be having my own cherry blossom festival by now, but not yet.  Just some bigger buds so far…
Cherry - Apr 25
And finally my red maple has had a big change in appearance, lost all its fuzzy red blossoms and ready to put out some leaves soon…
Red Maple - Apr 25














So that's where we are, stay tuned for two weeks forward…

No comments:

Post a Comment