Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Why I Became a Master Gardener - Part 4

I've always had a love for the outdoors. I was feeling trapped inside due to medical reasons. I tried a garden club and found it too social - not enough garden. I decided to check out the Master Gardeners and found the perfect fit. I'm always learning something new. What a joy having so many dirt buddies that "get" me; they know why there's never polish on my nails and why I can't stand outside a restaurant and not pull a few weeds from the planters. Then there's the hands-on in the garden too.


Now with all this new knowledge to pass on to others, I hope it's helping make a better world. It makes me feel like I'm making a difference - maybe only a little bit, but its more then I was doing before. What a great organization.  - a true weedaholic.
 
I was a master gardener in St. Mary's County, Maryland, and when I moved to PA, I wanted to continue my knowledge of growing plants/trees/shrubs, understanding insects and diseases, and found the Penn State Master Gardener program a superior learning experience. There are so many projects to be involved in that the possibilities are endless. I've enjoyed working the annual Plant Sale, and am now working with elementary school children in the Harvest 4-Health program. It has been a very gratifying experience to share my knowledge with these young children and to help them appreciate how vegetables are grown.
Read Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 of this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment