Sunday, September 25, 2011

Fall Garden Tour-Part 1 - Angela's Place

I've procrastinated long enough!  Here are some of the photos I took from the Garden Tour last week.  Unfortunately I was not able to see very many of the gardens due to time mis-management on my part.  Since I am ever watchful of pollinators, I noticed this Variegated Fritillary at the driveway of the very first garden on the tour.   Silly me did not have camera in hand.  A problem which was quickly remedied by a fast walk back to the car.  And so it began.  I am not as well versed as others in my postings here, but can provide some half decent photos at times.  So....if something needs to be corrected, or you have answers to my questionable identifications, I welcome your comments.


With the exception of this one photo, all others were taken at Angela Weather's.  
Variegated Fritillary (Euptoieta claudia)
Good nectar plants for this butterfly are: Ironweed, Red Clover, Alafalfa, Joe Pye Weed, Asters, Coneflower.
Violets, Common Purslane, Mayapple and Plantain are some of the host plants for this butterfly.
It's genus name was taken fromt he Greek word euptoietos meaning "easily scared".

I believe this is a rose. 

Nasturtium.  Quite edible and has a pepperly flavor.

Double Morning Glories as seen in earlier blog posts.

A unique type of eggplant.


Fall Crocus

Cranesbill

A lovely pink Hardy Begonia

Black Cohosh Cimicifuga racemosa

Hydrangea

A lovely Cosmo

One of my favorite annuals....Cleome



2 comments:

  1. I think the lovely pink flowering plant is a hardy begonia. Kathy wrote about it here:

    http://franklincountymgs.blogspot.com/2011/09/bloom-day-4-september-7-2011.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Angela's Place is really beautiful. Actually I am looking for places to be toured together with my friends as a high school reunion. This blog really help me a lot for making fats and easy to search about garden tours. By the way, I like the red flower one, the one called Nasturtium. It is nice and also interesting, as you mentioned above that it is edible. Thanks Franklin..

    ReplyDelete