Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Buds and Blooms (Part 3 I Guess)

I readily admit I'm obsessed.  Okay, just one more post of spring buds and blooms out in the garden.  As I weed and mulch every morning, I get waylaid by the variety and color out there right now.  So here we go again...

Buds first:

Lilac (Syringa):

























Dogwood (Cornus kousa):



 Viburnum (Viburnum):



Chokeberry (Aronia 'Iriquois Beauty'):


Russian Sage (Perovskia):


Then some of the blooms:

Witch Alder (Fothergilla 'Mount Airy'):


Mock Orange (Philadelphus) - (Okay, you need to find one of these this week, just to take in the smell - it reminds me of being in Florida beside an orange grove when all the trees were in blossom):

















Flowering Quince (Chaenomeles 'Cameo'):


We have a white Bleeding Heart (Dicentra):

















And last but not least, Mustard (Brassica):


Enough for now, my camera finger needs a break...

But I have enjoyed the pix from other Master Gardeners.  And I hope you all are out there finding your own favorites.

2 comments:

  1. Hah! on the mustard. Cool fact - Brassica rapa is the same species as turnips, napa cabbage, source of canola oil, etc., and are cross fertile. We've just cultivated them over the last 5000 years or so to better tasting varieties, emphasizing leaves, roots, etc., depending on what we want. Human-derived franken-food, in a way.

    The fothergilla in the Wildlife Area is in bloom now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mustard is such a nuisance to keep down, but it looks nice until it starts spitting seeds out...it just keeps blowing in here.

    I forgot about my fothergilla until it stood up and said - Hey - look at me over here!!! - it is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete